Laura Douglass, MD, is a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist with fellowship training in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery. As director of the Transabdominal Cerclage (TAC) Program, Dr. Douglass is an expert in TAC surgery, a procedure that prevents pregnancy loss in patients who have incompetent cervix (a weakened or short cervix). As a mentee of world-renowned gynecologic surgeon and TAC expert Arthur Haney, MD, Dr. Douglass was personally selected by Dr. Haney to lead the TAC Program upon his retirement in 2020.
She also performs a wide range of complex robotic and laparoscopic surgeries, specializing in the treatment of endometriosis, uterine fibroids, ovarian/tubal cysts and Mullerian anomalies. Dr. Douglass is passionate about providing safe, effective care using the least invasive and most individualized surgical approach for each patient’s needs.
She further specialized her practice by receiving international training and mentorship in São Paulo, Brazil, with an emphasis on providing fertility-sparing surgical treatment for women with endometriosis. In 2015, Dr. Douglass assisted in the implementation of laparoscopy in the obstetrics and gynecology department at a medical center in American Samoa.
Areas of Expertise
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Transabdominal Cerclage (TAC)
- Incompetent Cervix (Cervical Insufficiency Treatment)
- Robotic Surgery
- Uterine Fibroids
- Minimally Invasive Gynecology Surgery
- Ovarian Cysts & Masses
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Memberships & Medical Societies
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Society of Endometriosis and Uterine Disorders
- World Endometriosis Society
- Wayne State University School of Medicine
- University of Chicago Medicine
- Indiana University Health
News & Research
Dr. Douglass answers questions to help patients understand what to expect after TAC surgery.
More news and articles featuring Dr. Douglass:
- Chicago is special for Bears receiver Marquise Goodwin. It’s where a doctor helped his wife after years of loss — and where he’ll try to jumpstart his NFL career.
- ‘Let’s get you a family'. U. of C. cervix specialist retires after helping thousands have babies after multiple losses.
- 7 silent signs you could have endometriosis
View Published Papers
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
UChicago Medicine - Hinsdale
UChicago Medicine Orland Park
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient