UChicago Medicine News Office
The News Office is available to assist journalists and media professionals with breaking news, as well as finding expert health care sources, including physicians and researchers at the University of Chicago Medicine, the University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division, Comer Children's Hospital and Ingalls Memorial Hospital.
Media relations leadership:
Lorna Wong, Executive Director, Communications & Content Strategy
Ashley Heher, Director, Media Relations & Breaking News
For media relations assistance:
Our media relations team is available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Standard Time Monday through Friday. We can help provide experts in various areas of clinical expertise and address media questions related to institutional administrative/executive issues, labor management, hospital finance, health policy and insurance, affiliations, urban and community health, medical education and medical ethics.
For breaking news requests after normal business hours:
For evening and weekend requests, members of the media may email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your request, assess its urgency, and respond as soon as we are able.
Media Requests Regarding Patient Conditions & Hospital Access
In an effort to assist journalists, the media relations team can provide patient updates in certain cases and grant limited access to medical center property.
- We are able to release only one-word conditions for patients involved in an incident of public record, provided the patient has not opted out of directory information. (For additional information, visit the American Hospital Association’s HIPAA Privacy Regulations Overview.)
- We will respond to requests for the condition of a patient during normal business hours.
- Media must provide a patient’s first and last name.
- Information beyond a one-word status requires written authorization from the patient or legal representative.
- We do not provide condition updates on children without written authorization from a parent or guardian.
- Working journalists on hospital property must be escorted by a media relations representative. Please note certain streets on the Hyde Park medical campus are private property and cannot be used for live shots or standups. (Contact the media relations office to find out what streets are public.)
News releases related to biology and medicine are posted online on the date of their embargo. Our releases are accessible to qualified journalists on EurekAlert!, an online news resource sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Newswise, a press release distribution service. We will share embargoed news releases and manuscripts on request.
RSS News Feed
Subscribe to our news RSS feed to get our press releases delivered directly to your desktop. View our feed in your RSS reader.
What Is RSS?
Really Simple Syndication (RSS) is designed for sharing news and other Web content. RSS allows a person's computer to fetch and display this shared information in a simple format. Our feed is updated each time we post a new press release.
How Do I Get an RSS Reader?
There are free RSS readers (also called RSS aggregators) that you can download from the Internet. In addition, most new browsers have built-in support for RSS feeds.