UChicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital - Hyde Park is a state-of-the-art 172-bed hospital dedicated to caring for infants, children, teens and young adults.
Offering a range of services from general care to groundbreaking treatments for the most complex medical conditions, Comer Children's is home to the only Level 1 pediatric trauma center on Chicago's South Side.
The hospital has a 30-bed pediatric intensive care unit, one of the state's busiest neonatal intensive units and an array of general, specialty and sub-specialty pediatric care for children. Patients travel to Comer Children's from across the Midwest and the world for our advanced pediatric care.
Skip the Line at Your Next Visit with eCheck-In and Hello Patient
Verify medical and insurance information, pay visit co-pays in advance, notify the care team when you've arrived and more with eCheck-In and Hello Patient, available through the MyChart app.
Learn more about eCheck-In and Hello Patient by viewing our step-by-step instruction guide.
|Monday||7:30AM - 6:00PM|
|Tuesday||7:30AM - 6:00PM|
|Wednesday||7:30AM - 6:00PM|
|Thursday||7:30AM - 6:00PM|
|Friday||7:30AM - 6:00PM|
We encourage patients and visitors to use our valet parking service. It’s convenient and usually less expensive than self-parking.
Located on Drexel Boulevard between 57th and 58th Streets, our short-term parking lot is situated between the Comer Children’s Emergency Department and the Center for Care and Discovery. This lot is open 24 hours a day.
Only women in labor and patients being seen in the Comer Children’s Emergency Department are allowed up to four hours of free parking with validation. Parking tickets can be validated at the Comer Children’s Emergency Department main desk and at the Family Birth Center located on the third floor of Comer Children’s Hospital. Non-validated tickets or those found to be in violation of the rules are subject to a fine, as indicated by signage in the lot.
Valet parking is available in front of the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital main entrance and the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM). Please ask clinic staff about discounted parking rates for patients and visitors.
Parking A: 5840 S. Maryland Avenue
Turn on Maryland Avenue from 59th Street and the entrance will be on your left. This garage is best for patients and visitors going to Bernard A. Mitchell Hospital and Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM). A walking bridge on Level 2 connects Parking A to Mitchell and DCAM. Parking A Office is located on Level 1, enter on Maryland Avenue.
Parking B: 5656 S. Maryland Avenue
Turn on Maryland Avenue from 56th Street and the entrance will be on your right. You can also enter on Cottage Grove Avenue. This garage is best for patients and visitors going to the Center for Care and Discovery (CCD). Patient and visitor parking are on the first six levels. Staff permit parking is on the top two levels. A walking bridge on Level 2 connects Parking B and CCD. Parking B Office is located on Level 2 near the walking bridge.
UChicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital was designed to provide the most advanced care for children in a family-centered environment. All children who do not require care in intensive care units have their own private rooms. Each room has large windows so children can enjoy sunlight and an outdoor view. In addition, key resources have been carefully located to make the hospital more functional for children, families, physicians, and staff. For example:
- Key family resources — such as the Au Bon Pain Café, the Family Learning Center, and a meditation garden — are easily accessible on the first floor.
- The chapel is accessible from the lobby, yet set back from mainstream traffic for peace and privacy.
- Related clinical areas, such as the complex immediate care unit and the operating rooms, are located next to each other to streamline patient care.
- The satellite pharmacy is centrally located, making it easily accessible to staff members from all units.
Special equipment inside Comer Children's includes the following:
- Air is 99.9 percent filtered against airborne contaminates through HEPA filters before being circulated to prevent the spread of infections throughout the hospital. Isolation rooms with special exhaust systems also are on each floor to protect patients from the environment.
- State-of-the-art patient bedside monitors connect with the UChicago Medicine's computer network. This gives physicians, nurses, and other patient care staff the ability to view real-time data from terminals anywhere on the UChicago Medicine campus.
- The cardiac catheterization lab is wired for video conferencing so physicians from all over the world can view live procedures and interact with Comer Children's physicians in real-time.
- Patients will not hear a loud overhead paging system. A wireless call system allows patients to press a button and page their nurses silently.
Au Bon Pain Kiosk
Salads, sandwiches, wraps and baked goods are available.
Located in the lobby
Hours: Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pediatric Allergy & Immunology
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Chronic Disease
- Pediatric Critical Care
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pediatric Otolaryngology (ENT)
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Hematology & Oncology (Pediatric Cancer)
- Pediatric Hematology & Oncology (Pediatric Cancer)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
- Pediatric Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Pediatric Psychiatry
- Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
- Pediatric Rheumatology
- Pediatric Sleep Medicine
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric Transplant Surgery
- Pediatric Urology
- Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology
- Pediatric Hepatology (Liver Disease)
- Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
- Aetna POS
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Coventry Health Plan PPO
- Great West PPO
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
Lobby, valet cashier/cash station, phones, Au Bon Pain Café, chapel, Family Learning Center, health professions library, playroom, outdoor playground, volunteer center, administration offices, conference room and radiology, including:
- Two ultrasound rooms — one fluoroscopy room, one general radiology room
- Computed tomography (CT) scan and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Neonatal intensive care unit with 47 Level-III beds, minor procedures room, two conference rooms, and the Family Care Center that includes a laundry room and vending machine area.
Surgery area with five operating room suites, complex immediate care unit with 10 beds, cardiac catheterization lab, pre-operative and recovery areas, satellite pharmacy, family waiting area, play area and conference room.
Pediatric intensive care unit with 20 beds, transitional care unit with 18 beds, palliative care suite, family lounge, main pharmacy, play area and conference room.
Thirty-one licensed beds for neurology, neurosurgery, epilepsy, solid organ transplant, and general medical/surgical patients; physical therapy room, epilepsy monitoring room, minor procedures room, play area and conference room.
Twenty-nine licensed beds for hematology, oncology, stem cell transplant/immunosuppressed patients and other medical or surgical patients; cardiac telemetry unit, heart station/echocardiograms, minor procedures room, palliative care suite, play area, family kitchen and conference room.