UChicago Medicine recognizes that patients and their families may need help paying for health services if they do not have health insurance or if their insurance does not cover their entire bill. We offer discounts based on financial need, which may cover all or part of a patient’s account balance(s).
All patients may apply for financial assistance if they have a balance due after their insurer has paid its share of a bill(s). In some cases, such as for children, the individual responsible for paying the patient’s bills (known as the guarantor) can apply for financial assistance.
Financial Assistance Criteria
Proven financial need, household income, family size and other resources determine if a patient can get a discount on their balance due:
- Patients with household incomes at 200 percent or less of the federal poverty level can receive a 100 percent discount.
- Patients with household incomes above 200 percent but below 600 percent of the federal poverty level can receive an 80 percent discount.
- In addition, patients whose UChicago Medicine bills for one year total 20 percent or more of their annual adjusted gross income will not have to pay more than 20 percent of their income for all of those bills.
- Discounts only apply to emergency treatment and medically necessary health care services. Non-medically necessary services, such as cosmetic procedures, are not discounted.
Patients who receive financial assistance cannot be charged more than the amounts generally billed by UChicago Medicine.
Applying for Financial Assistance
The process for applying for financial assistance is as follows:
- Download and fill out the application for financial assistance, which is available in English or in Spanish.
- Supply supporting documents listed on the application, including copies of tax returns and proof of income (e.g., pay stubs).
- Sign the application and return it with required documentation as soon as possible to the following address:
- We will review the application and back-up documents and notify you if additional information is required.
- You will receive written notification of an approval for financial assistance or a denial (and the reason the request is denied), typically within 10 business days of our receipt of all required documents.
The University of Chicago Medicine
150 Harvester Dr., Ste 300
Burr Ridge, IL 60527-5965
- Application for Financial Assistance (PDF)
- Plain Language Summary (PDF)
- Informacion de asistencia economica para pacientes
- Resumen en lenguaje sencillo de la política de ayuda financiera (PDF)
- Financial Assistance Policy (PDF)
- Política y Manual de Procedimientos de University of Chicago Medical Center